Friday, January 28, 2011

Resonating

Last night, for my evening Nitnem, I was a bit late, so I decided to do some extra banis and do a long Nihang Rehraas Sahib with aarta aarti, and Kirtan Sohila, all in one session, so I could sleep right after. I do the Nihang nitnem whenever I actually do a proper, sitting down, without time restriction Nitnem (which I am aiming at making my daily spiritual practice, but as you know, these things take time and super-dedication, I am still in the trying stage but I do see some light coming my way, slowly) . Well, I do Nihang Nitnem because of a few different reasons, that I will touch on in this post...
but before I get there, I wanted to share this bit of my experience with Rehraas Sahib last night...
I feel like I have bits of it partly memorized, and so I would read out the title of the Raag / stanza and just say out the verses with my eyes closed. I was trying (I don't think I completely achieved it but I was trying) to do it carefully with my heart and mind stabilized in the Guru's words.
Somehow, I guess I was seeing visions, I felt like I was in the Sri Harimander Sahib, and for a while, I was me.. and I was bowing, and for some while, I felt I was a tiny little birdie, who lives there on a tree and on the premises of the GuruDwara Sahib.  I haven't been to India (/Sri Amritsar) for the past 4 and a half or so years, but I felt that I belonged to the Guru Ghar. Isn't that crazy!?! There was so much peace and so much love in that moment... I felt the energy in the blessings and love, Guru jee was bestowing upon me... So grateful!
Well, now about Nihang Nitnem... When I was new to Sikhi, I went to an Academy (GNA) with my brother, where I attended the english Katha class- (It is broadcasted online every Saturday night, you could click at the link and enjoy & learn from it on every Saturday night at 6 pm to 9 pm Pacific time). The instructor had an everlasting impact in my life as a Sikh, and thats where I first realized my connection with Guru Jee and Sikhi.
The one thing I learnt, was Sikhi, as a personal path is all about Prema-Bhagti (meaning Devotional love).
Hence, (1) I choose to do Nihang Nitnem, simply out of Love of Guru Jee, I feel that it is a bit longer, so I get to read more of the Guru jee's message, and if I have the time, I can do extra Banis. It is just wonderful, as I feel the more time I am ready to give to Guru jee, the more I feel connected to His Holy Charan Kamal.
(2) I love how it makes me feel, I can do the regular (Minimal) Nitnem if I am running out of time, but I try to do the longer version, because I guess we possess a Buddha Dal (Nihang) Gutka Sahib, b/c my brother likes the Nihang Lifestyle and I guess I picked that up from him in the sense that I like it too! (I am still not super rehat-vaan but I try)  I love the tone, the power and the connection in some verses, it is profound...[By the way, Nihang lifestyle is harder and much more disciplined. Also, I am purely Lacto- vegetarian, and so is my brother, we don't think this lifestyle allows us to kill/eat animals) I find Nihang Singhs like Baba Deep Singh very inspiring, He is our role model, so that's partly the reason...
(3) I think that the version consists of a lot of Sri Dasam Guru Granth Sahib jee verses (and some Sri SarabhLoh Guru Granth Sahib jee verses as well)  and Banis. This is a particularly interesting and special reason for me. It is special, because our father, Sri Guru Gobind Singh jee maharaaj is super special! I have read a bit about how some people deny Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaaj's authorship of Sri Dasam Guru Granth Sahib, but the true Scholars and BrhamGianis don't. I just don't like questioning Bani, because Guru jee blesses it to only those who have faith, and faith asks no questions. And yet I think asking questions is not a bad thing, as long as your question is well thought, researched & it doesn't affect the Panth's integrity & harmony. Every time I hear about Kirpan Issues, or violence in GuruDwaras, It is during Anti- Dasam Guru Granth Sahib Jee meetings etc. & that breaks my heart. I'm sure Guru jee wrote them, just because He did! Anyways the point is I am not a scholar, and so I want to expose my consciousness to The Guru jee's writing and slowly develop better interest in Guru Granth Sahib Jee maharaaj, as well as Sri Dasam Guru Granth & Sri SarabhLoh Guru Granth Jee. So that I can (hopefully some fine day) learn a little bit from our Guru jee's and be good!

Khalsa Panth is beautiful, Guru jee is beautiful, I really only pray for thy Love Oh Lord!
Please bless me, so I can love you & be devoted to your Charan Kamal!

"There is nothing so lovely and enduring in the regions which surround us, above and below, as the lasting peace of a mind centred in God" -Yoga Vashishtha


Love and Light

Guru Fateh =)

2 comments:

  1. I love to hear about your experience with nitnem, itäs always interesting to get someone else's perspective and thoughts. :) Sat Nam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Saranpreet! I'm glad you found it interesting =) Thanks for stopping by and giving it a read!
    Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

    ReplyDelete