Monday, January 17, 2011

Blame Game

 When I was graduating from St. Josephs' our Principal Sr. gave a Farewell speech, when she asked us a question saying, do you know who is the only person that can stop you from succeeding? Many of us answered God, depends on circumstances, and all sorts of things... but the answer was We, Ourselves.
--> The only person responsible for Success, is the one who Succeeds and likewise for failure!
 
During the last little while, I kept coming across fragments of ideology revolving around:

"You become a failure, not by failing at something, but by blaming it on others."
and that "Needing encouragement is a weakness"
I think now that if we really need to do something that we believe in, we do not need support or encouragement, and if we really want to do something, we totally can, its just a matter of putting in time and effort. But these are little things that take years to figure, its not like a concept we carry in our psychology. I had times when I thought I am not progressing too much spiritually, because of lack of Support and yet I can claim that I am a pretty empowered woman in that I don't need praise to continue taking steps towards something that is right.

Guru jee says in Gurbani that we all as humans are always seeking our own praise, seeking Sobha (glory/ anticipation and acknowledgment) and that I feel is true, half the things we do are an attempt to gain praise, half the politicians and Celebrities adopt babies, many of us do acts of Seva, just to make a name for ourselves. I do a whole bunch of volunteer projects, but half the time I commit to these things, for some sort of benefit I see in it, for myself and my future, my career or seek fun in these commitments. Hence, I can't call these things Seva, even if I end up making a difference in the world, by means of my work....
  Getting encouragement is good, it really is nice, it keeps you on track with your commitments, but do you really need it? I guess once on this blog I mentioned that I accomplished some of my Goals with Sikhi. I became a total Lacto-Vegetarian ( despite my Anemia), and I wear all my Kakkars, I struggled to keep Kes but now I am doing it, I was blessed with Amrit and that I don't wear a dastaar quite yet and that I am not super at Rehit (Sikh Lifestyle). But there is no blame game here, there was when I first mentioned it, partially because I did not realize that I was to blame for not being determined enough and seeking encouragement was so needy and mean on my part. I felt that I need people to support me, it had to do with Ego. The point is, all the goals that had my determination, were met; we accomplish what we want to if we really want to put in the effort.
I want to now give up the blame game thereby stop feeding my ego and make myself aware of the fact that I am responsible for what does'nt work. I need to become more aware of my tendency to seek sobha, and consciously try to eliminate and work against the need for praise- and praise Guru jee instead, as He is ever beautiful and Glorious!

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Kalyaan on Pannaa 1322
kaliaan mehalaa 5
Kalyaan, Fifth Mehla
maerae laalan kee sobhaa
O, the Wondrous Glory of my Beloved!
sadh navathan man rangee sobhaa
My mind is rejuvenated forever by His Wondrous Love.
breham mehaes sidhh mun eindhraa bhagath dhaan jas mangee
Brahma, Shiva, the Siddhas, the silent sages and Indra beg for the charity of His Praise and devotion to Him.
jog giaan dhhiaan saekhanaagai sagal japehi tharangee
Yogis, spiritual teachers, meditators and the thousand-headed serpent all meditate on the Waves of God.
kahu naanak santhan balihaarai jo prabh kae sadh sangee
Says Nanak, I am a sacrifice to the Saints, who are the Eternal Companions of God.


Love and Light!
Guru Fateh

2 comments:

  1. I think what your principal said is very true. You cant blame anyone for you failure. If you are an independent person, you would admit it when you have failed, because of your own mistake. Just as you would want to say you have accomplished something all on your own. You would accredit it to your self, and not someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anam! Thank You for your comment! It really means a lot to me, Thanks for stopping by and giving me a read!
    Love and Light!

    ReplyDelete