Saturday, July 10, 2010

Humility - Nimarta

We are blessed  to have Amrit vela Fridays in my local Sangat (Youth)  throughout the summer. Sometimes, I have to miss, and do my Nitnem on my own, because I hesitate to wake my parents up, to drop me off to the Gurudwara, but anyways, I was reading an e-mail from a very active member of the Sangat, just a few minutes ago, which made me think about the Humbleness of a true Sikh of the Guru....He wrote it, because the event was gonna get canceled for this week, because of lack of people signing up for seva.
But here's the thing, I find this Humble-ness (Humility), beyond my understanding.....

The one thing I do not understand at all is Humility.... How can we be humble? Nimarta or Humility is a concept in Sikh faith which Guru jee talks about several times:
"The fruit of humility is intuitive peace and pleasure. With Humility they continue to meditate on the Lord, the Treasure of excellence. The God-conscious being is steeped in humility. One whose heart is mercifully blessed with abiding humility. Sikhism deal Humility as begging bowl before the god," Guru Nanak, First Guru Of Sikhism said,
"Listening and believing with love and humility in your mind cleanse yourself with the Name, at the sacred shrine deep within." (Page 4,Guru Granth Sahib)

"Make contentment your ear-rings, humility your begging bowl, and meditation the ashes you apply to your body." (Page 6,Guru Granth Sahib).

"In the realm of humility, the Word is Beauty. Forms of incomparable beauty are fashioned there." (Page 8,Guru Granth Sahib).

ਕਬੀਰ ਦਾਵੈ ਦਾਝਨੁ ਹੋਤੁ ਹੈ ਨਿਰਦਾਵੈ ਰਹੈ ਨਿਸੰਕ ॥ ਜੋ ਜਨੁ ਨਿਰਦਾਵੈ ਰਹੈ ਸੋ ਗਨੈ ਇੰਦ੍ਰ ਸੋ ਰੰਕ ॥੧੬੯॥
Kabīr ḏāvai ḏājẖan hoṯ hai nirḏāvai rahai nisank. Jo jan nirḏāvai rahai so ganai inḏar so rank. (169)
Kabeer, those who brag, shall burn. Those who do not brag remain carefree. That humble being who does not brag, looks upon the gods and the poor alike. (169)
                                        Source:  http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Guru_Granth_Sahib_on_humility

I, personally, can never understand humility, but I am aware of it, and I know that it touches my heart.....

Recently I met Bhagat Jaswant Singh (Bhagat ji). He is the person who brought revolution in Gurbani Santhya (Recitation technology) and has done a lot of work in teaching Gurbani to the new generation Sikhs. You can find out more about his works in  http://www.gursevak.com/  and  http://www.sikhnet.com/artist/bhagat-jaswant-singh-ji  
To me, He defines Humility.... humility doesn't feel like a false persona, or just another mask anymore, when it comes to him. I guess that is partially why I see people addressing him as 'they' instead of him...
there are some things he said / taught me the other day that I'd like to share with you all:
For one, I feel that he believes that as a Sikh, you don't only have to be completely Lacto-Vegitarian (and non consumer of Alcoholic drinks/ foods and drugs / tobacco) but also have to really eat stuff that only you or those people prepare who are always in Simran (remembring God)...
He has a love for people that I've never before felt in other people, in fact, He has a certain charm to himself, that is rare, He, I noticed, uses words like Happy, Wonderful and fun so much that just being around him is so much fun!
He always listens to Gurbani (The word of the Guru) , and tells people to listen to it as well. He promotes healthy living, like he told me by just looking at me that I had less blood ( and I really am anemic) and he told me to exercise and listen to Gurbani...and stuff like that....
It was interesting, in fact He while making it feel all kiddish, touched everyone' feet.... even mine....

And that reminded me of this little story my brother told me once:

He told me a different perspective to Baba Deep Singh ji's story,
Being the dust of every ones' feet is what a Sikh prays for....
PEHLAN MARAN KABOOL JEEVAN KI CHHAD AAS. HOEO SABNA KI RENKA TAU AAO HAMARE PAAS.
     (First, accept to die in life and give up interest in worldly life, become the dust of the feet of everyone, then come to me ).
(Check this out ----     http://www.sikh.net/publications/MasterFt/Ftstp02.htm   )

So, the version of Baba Deep Singh ji's story was with everything the same, but just that the reason he threw His head in the parkarma(n) (the place where everyone walks, in order to get to the inside of the Gurudwara) in the premises of the Golden Temple complex was because He wanted to be the dust of the feet of all the Sikhs, as they went to pay their Homage in the Harimandar Sahib.....
It is so interesting...... after having given his life to the faith, he also chose to give his death to the Gursikhs, by putting his head at the feet of the Guru and his Followers..... that is Humility in my eyes....

and reading that e-mail....I think choosing to do the seva of calling people out to come to an event, and still practicing Humility....Man, it almost feels like perfect world to me right there.....

Its like Angels on earth...all of these Gursikhs, even just normal Sikhs who can manage to follow the Path of the Guru are so beautiful......I look at myself, and see myself doing all the things that are wrong for a sikh to do,...but then live with those things, But here are the people I see with my own eyes that totally make me see How beautiful the Love of the Guru can make you....how serene, calm, wonderful.....
I am so blessed .....in ways more that I can say or tell....

Love and Light!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment