Sunday, May 30, 2010

Are You on Sale???

Here's another excerpt from a book I read a while ago, and since it happens to be one of my life changing Favorites, every time in the break between semesters, when I need some extra Spiritual motivation, I refer back to My fav books.....I came across this, and felt how I talk about this to everyone I counsel, even if it is just on a Personal level, for friends or family... or just ppl too close to me, who pour their heart out and need me to tell my opinion....only yesterday I was telling a bestie, that She shouldn't be on sale at the hands of anyone...her family, her friends, Society or even me.....Here, Read and enjoy!

We live in a culture that encourages us to be covered up and shut down. Here, Image is everything. It is as if we were all on sale. We have to look right. We have to sound right. We have to be with the right people.The problem is that all this "rightness" may be all wrong for us. Our real self gets lost. Our soul gets sold to the highest bidder. We wind up feeling empty, lonely, and lost.

I hear people saying things like....I've had enough......my own people wrung out my individuality from within me....... I chose this career or path, because my parents wanted me to do so.....and so on......
I totally can't believe we can let ourselves be traded at the hands of anyone,......
Recently, a friend talked to me about how his mother wanted him to become a doctor, and she has even told all their relatives and family friends that he'd become a doctor, so now if he doesn't want to become one, his mom tells him that he'd risk her accountability..........
It really disheartens me to hear such things.... I feel that we can justify being on sale....all because of our society.....Wow....It also amazes me to no end...
I am not trying to provoke anyone to become a rebel, but really, if you loose yourself in the process of satisfying others, you'll never be happy......
I've been doing things in my life where I am clearly revolting against my loved ones' wishes, but guess what, If they really love me, they'll have to accept me the way I am or would like to be.....
Imaging you love someone for their Image in the Society, and not for who they are in real....How useless that love is....
This reminds me of another story, there was this woman who had a happy marriage with a guy, and they even gave birth to a kid, everything was going well, until one day, when the lady was diagnosed with Cancer, soon she was on Chemotherapy and lost all hair on her body, now everyone could tell that she had Cancer, and she could die any minute...... her husband left her and their only son..... WHY? I'd say because this entire time he was lying that he loved her....he only loved how good she looked when she was healthy...... I hate this story....but it is real.... and I even personally know this family..... Obviously I abandoned them... but Imagine those for who who give up being yourselves turn out like that guy....loving you not for who you are but who you become for them or for the society....


Anyways!
I guess this can be taken to another height and the whole Ideology of being yourself as a Sikh can also be discussed.....but I kinda feel I'd not be the best one to discuss that.....or I'll try some other time maybe...

Till then,
Take Care
<3
Peace Out!

2 comments:

  1. You really have a point there! I think many of us don't really know what love is. Or, we've forgotten and instead we think that graticifation and social acceptance is love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Actually, if you read one of my newer posts, You'd know that my family poses a huge resistance and objection towards me, accepting Sikhi in the 'outside', and that I recently failed to fight back and rebel, about wearing a turban full time....
    Somewhere I feel like I am on sale, my beliefs, my values are on sale......but that is why Guru jee called Moh (worldly attachment) as one of the 5 vakars (evils - I guess coz of lack of a better word) ...
    In the recent years I have started to feel that we as Humans do not possess the faculties and the ability to Truly Love someone.... I've at least never loved anyone unconditionally, or felt that I can even lay down my life for anyone, not even Guru jee Himself! I doubt if we can love the True love that we talk about as humans!

    Thanks for your Comment though!
    It really means a lot to me
    H.

    ReplyDelete