Monday, March 14, 2011

Guru of the Kalyugi Jeevs

Whether it's striving for success or longing for significance, whether it's trying to create a better world or become a better person, there is a drive within us all. We are designed with a need to move forward. Without it our lives become only shadows of what they could have been. You can live without perusing a dream, you can function without passion but with each passing moment, your soul will become more and more anemic.
Your soul longs to become, and you can try to ignore it,but soon you will find yourself hating your life and despising everyone who refuses to give up on his or her dreams.
- Erwin Raphael McManus in the book Soul Cravings
I was on campus a few days ago, when a guy from a Christian Student Society approached me. I am super social, and I tend to talk to people who approach me like that for at least a little bit. He offered me a few goodies and talked about his club. He wanted to know what I thought about Jesus. I smiled. I looked at his exhibit table and found some free books that I could take home if I wanted. I picked up the books to take a quick look, while I answered something along the lines of" Christ, to me would be the messenger of God sent down to the Earth for all of us to learn from..." One was an English translation of the New Testament and the other was this book called Soul Cravings. I guess my answer made him more curious as he posed another question to me, saying what faith/ religious beliefs do have? What religion did I belong to?
With a faint smile, I responded, Sikhism. He didn't know much about it... He asked, What is your concept of God. I assume he meant what is the Sikh concept of God, as I answered, "We believe in one God, who is infinite, formless and omnipresent." Very general stuff. Very simplified. He then asked what did Sikhs think of Jesus. And I smiled again. I tried, to pull the answer from the little that I know about Sikhi, and from what I've heard Gyanis (people with great treasures of Knowledge) say in Kathas, but I wasn't quite sure if I could put it in words that the concept was worth! If my words could justify it enough.....
I think I said... "I don't promise to answer this to the absolute accuracy, I'm kinda new to sikhi, but here's what I've found out by talking to some other Sikhs, who have dug quite deep into sikhi as far as I can tell"..I paused to think if I was really gonna tell him this....then I thought lets just give this a try..."This might sound real ironical, but We as Sikhs are 'Kalyugi Jeevs' meaning that people of the dark age. We were real hard to rectify and work upon. When God felt that the world needed Avtaars i.e. Messengers of God, He first sent Christ. Christ was indeed Wonderful, He had the power to change the world, and we'd think that all Christians were 'Satyugi jeevs' meaning the beings of the True/ Truthful age, they were genuine Humans who were receptive to change for the better. They had the seeds of faith within them, or that Christs Goodness and Sacrifice touched them, it moved them deeply, and this was enough to change them, make them faithful!
And those who stood there and did not see the sacrifice, still did not decide to become His disciples. God still was full of light, He cared about the non followers as well, and so He kept sending other Avtaats, and those who saw God's kindness and light though these Avtaars, kept realizing the truth and becoming faithful to these newer faiths........" And our conversation ended around there, We chatted briefly about how ironical that sounded and how "not-so-mainstream thinking that was"  I had to run to a class, he had to go do something.... But
For those that still wouldn't change their way, after so many of these chances to become faithful, God came down to the Earth Himself as Guru Nanak Dev Ji maharaaj, and even those who were so hard to mend found the light...and changed. The Sikhs are those who were not moved enough by the sacrifice of Christ, the Saviour... They didn't see Prophet Mohammed and His kindness, they were so stubborn that they left God with no other alternative but to come down Himself. God is Nirvair, He doesn't fear or hate anyone, He still wanted to work on these stubborn beings, and hence He came down in Kalyug. To show us the light and to bring dawn in the Kalyug... to the beings that needed to see sooooo many sacrifices, before they'd understand and become convinced of the greatness of God....
 Well,  whatever your understanding tells you, Please feel free to comment and tell me what you think/ if you want to enlighten me a little about what the truth is or what We, as Sikhs think of this concept of Faiths- and what it means to be a Faith that came up in Kalyug....
Whatever your story might have been, but in my story towards Sikhi, I've had this 'falling for Sikhi after multiple exposures/ fits of connection with other faiths... maybe just on the level of a theology enthusiast/ curious kiddo! But I seriously considered several faiths to be my calling, until all my fears/ doubts/ insecurities were taken care of, by Guru Nanak Dev Ji's beautiful Gurparsaad!
Gurparsaad is said to be the one word definition of Sikhi! (I read that somewhere, and believed it to be true ever-since, It really is, Isn't it?)
I've probably brought this up before, that I've been real curious about Sri  Dasam Guru Granth Sahib jee Maharaaj quite a bit lately. I've been blessed with the chance to read a few banis, (besides the Jaap Sahib of course) and I've always found the concept of Sikhi being a Kalyugi faith or Guru Jee dawning upon the Kalyug a few times in the pure Verdicts of Our father Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaaj. I've also noticed that Chandi/ Bhavaani/ and other Hindu Goddesses have been repeatedly mentioned as Guru Jee's special form. I've heard a katha from someone saying that Mata Sahib Kaur Ji was Chandi's Avtaar. I've heard the story of Guru Gobind Sahib Jee Maharaaj at Naina Devi, when He explained to the Hindu Pandits that the Chandi was the sword He produced from the fire as they all saw, while dawning upon them that they should perform pooja (worship) of God, not His messengers alone!....... AND I've been curious, I've researched more to find why it all is the same thing for Guru Jee, when we as Humans want to keep it all compartmentalized. And the only concept I found that might explain what all of it is tied in one long string is this!  The reasoning I mentioned above...
As far as Chandi is concerned, here's what I've found from research: She was a prime devotee of God and so If Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaaj (Guru Nanak Dev Jee Maharaaj), the God Himself was to get someone to serve as His wife and the mother of the Khalsa, who was better than the biggest devotee of God- Chandi reincarnated Mata Sahib Kaur.

Well, I'm hoping that this is a safe and friendly place to discuss our views. I am aware that there is much debate and controversy about things like this concept out there, but I am a little under 2 years old in and as a Sikh- just a toddler! Please share your views to help me learn and grow in this path.


Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

P.S.: Thought I should mention this: I'm not at all knowledgeable, my information is not the cited-b/c I don't remember where exactly I found every piece of info! However, this is by no means my original piece of thinking either... So please forgive me if any of this sounds too uncanny to you, but please also let me know (leave me a comment/ e-mail) if there is something you might want me to look into & learn more about.
Thank You!
Also, Please pray for Japan and those that lost their lives. One little Ardaas- one little prayer- I'm sure it can make a lot of difference!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for giving it a read! I always wonder why the most read posts have no comments ;)
    This post had soooooo many reads! Anyways, Feel free to scribble any further insight!
    WJKK WJKF

    ReplyDelete